Author Topic: Some fellow gun owners giving us bad name with homophoba  (Read 1297 times)

CaseyCameron

• View Profile
Some fellow gun owners giving us bad name with homophoba
« on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
Check out this article and my comment to it:

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/trashing-conservative-gun-owners/#comment-2025238

"A Christian business person who refuses to prepare a wedding cake for a gay couple isn’t simply adhering to their religion, they’re ugly bigots filled with hate who deserve to be put out of business – or at least that’s the news media’s version."

I was with you until this paragraph.

I am a staunch pro-2A person and see this homophobic crap about wedding cakes pop up often. I mean, do the Christian business people kick out divorced people?  Wearing different fabrics?  NO.  We all know this is about disdain for gay people just like the anti-gunner's blaming the gun and honest gun owners for terrorist events like Pulse night club is their way of going after conservatives and rural people.

It's sad to see so many fellow gun owners complain that Christian bakers and florists that are bound by the same non-discrimination laws as anyone else (no special rights) yet are the first to boycott places where we can't carry.

Hopefully this homophobic crap will go away and gun owners like me won't have to clean up the mess of the bad image this gives gun owners.

Douglas

• View Profile
Re: Some fellow gun owners giving us bad name with homophoba
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 06:30:50 PM »
"It's sad to see so many fellow gun owners complain that Christian bakers and florists that are bound by the same non-discrimination laws as anyone else (no special rights) yet are the first to boycott places where we can't carry."

i don't go places that don't allow concealed carry because i'm law abiding.  it is a felony to carry a firearm into a place that either by law does not allow it, or has properly posted signage that does not allow it.  it's not personal, i'm following the law.

if it's place that i would like to go into, i've written letters to the store, and so far i've gotten consistent replies:  "we're not changing, we hope you shop with us".  uh, no.  until you make a positive effort to make sure NO ONE has a gun (including crooks), then i'll go elsewhere and you can wave your signs at the crooks that hold your places up now and then.

CaseyCameron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
I could have added a sentence regarding the bakers and florists that want to use their deeply held "religious freedom" to kick us LGBT's out. Anti-gunner's also have "deeply held" beliefs yet WE know better!   

So whatever someone's beliefs are, BS or not, we have individual RIGHTS! Right to public accommodations and things open to the public means open to the people you don't like.  And the RIGHT to keep and BEAR arms.

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »
our rights come from God.  government is created to preserve and protect those rights.

people go into business to make money by providing a good or service.  if you don't want to provide your good or service to anyone who is paying for such, then shutter the store and do something else.

you say you are a Christian?  great, me too.  the Bible commands us (not suggests or hints at, commands) to love our neighbor as ourself.  what, you don't want to serve sinners?  we are all sinners, so that argument is out.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
"It's sad to see so many fellow gun owners complain that Christian bakers and florists that are bound by the same non-discrimination laws as anyone else (no special rights) yet are the first to boycott places where we can't carry."

i don't go places that don't allow concealed carry because i'm law abiding.  it is a felony to carry a firearm into a place that either by law does not allow it, or has properly posted signage that does not allow it.  it's not personal, i'm following the law.

if it's place that i would like to go into, i've written letters to the store, and so far i've gotten consistent replies:  "we're not changing, we hope you shop with us".  uh, no.  until you make a positive effort to make sure NO ONE has a gun (including crooks), then i'll go elsewhere and you can wave your signs at the crooks that hold your places up now and then.
What state is that???

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
New Mexico

rivet_42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:32 PM »
Texas's 30.06 and 30.07 signs carry force of law.  Carrying a firearm in a place that's been posted with those signs is a criminal act.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »
In a number of states the signs don't have the force of law; Kansas and Oklahoma, for example.

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »
I will not spend my hard earned money at a place that will not respect its patrons for who they are or what they do. I do not mind telling the manager on duty why I won't be patronizing their establishment. The same go's for any preacher/minister/cleric/rabbi/priest/priestess  who chooses to spew venomous words against any group for the sake of their agenda. Before you get all bent out of shape on that last sentence let me say this. I am a retired pastor of a main stream denomination. No I am no longer involved in this church as I have found many of their philosophies are not in line with their book. Truthfully I have received more acceptance of where I am on my path in life from random pagans at a Barns and Noble book store than the ice cold pseudo christians I'd encounter in a "christian" bookstore. That being said my spiritual path generally remains private. Publicly I am a very accepting person willing to honor anothers views if they likewise honor mine... a mutual understanding or nameste. Likewise if someone does not wish to participate in their 2nd amendment rights great, good for them, but don't tread on my rights to do so.
My definition of  Homophobia: Someone afraid of being human... fearful of blooming where they are potted... one who is unsure of the role they play on this journey called life yet still is judgmental of others path.
Sorry for high jacking the thread.
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 07:14:03 PM »
seems you are conflating two topics. 

there is the law, which in part states that in many places it is illegal to carry a firearm where it is prohibited by law or owner's decree.

there is the Bible, which states what it states.  if you don't agree with it, or with those who properly proclaim it, then the problem is with you, not with the Bible.  and if someone improperly teaches the Bible, then they should be avoided.

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »
seems you are conflating two topics. 

there is the law, which in part states that in many places it is illegal to carry a firearm where it is prohibited by law or owner's decree.

there is the Bible, which states what it states.  if you don't agree with it, or with those who properly proclaim it, then the problem is with you, not with the Bible.  and if someone improperly teaches the Bible, then they should be avoided.
Exactly my point... Exactly my action. Knocked the dust off my shoes and moved on, in both instances.
Maybe I should add to my signature line a warning that my responses at times seem to be random thoughts at large. Nah, what would be the fun in that...? Keep em thinking.

John

Werz Waldeau

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »
This thread discusses two separate issues, but I think there is a common answer: boycott.  If a business refuses to respect your right to bear arms, boycott it.  If a business refuses to respect your sexual orientation or gender identity, boycott it.  And by boycott, I do not mean simply denying them your business; I mean spreading the word far and wide that they refuse to respect the rights of others, regardless of what justification they may claim.  Sure, they will get temporary support from like-minded people, but that is usually fleeting.  Eventually, it will have an effect on their bottom line.

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »
if you don't have one already, go get a concealed carry permit.  if you find an establishment that does not allow concealed carry (other than not allowed by law, like bars), write them a letter.  have your friends write letters.  let them know your money is going elsewhere.  lots of it.

big places like wallymart will likely just ignore you (they ignored me).  smaller places.....you might get a different reaction.

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 08:23:26 PM »
This thread discusses two separate issues, but I think there is a common answer: boycott.  If a business refuses to respect your right to bear arms, boycott it.  If a business refuses to respect your sexual orientation or gender identity, boycott it.  And by boycott, I do not mean simply denying them your business; I mean spreading the word far and wide that they refuse to respect the rights of others, regardless of what justification they may claim.  Sure, they will get temporary support from like-minded people, but that is usually fleeting.  Eventually, it will have an effect on their bottom line.
+1 let a lot of people know...

John

Cholly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »

Get your facts straight. It depends on the state. Here in Georgia, signage matters diddly. If the business owner personally asks you to leave, you must, or you become guilty of criminal trespass. If they don't know you are carrying, zero laws have been broken.

Personally, I won't enter a store that has signage saying no guns allowed not because it's illegal(because it isn't!) but because the business owner has put up a sign that says, "We're totally unarmed, ROB US!", to criminals, endangering their customers far more than anyone in their place of business who happens to be licensed to carry.