21 (56.8%)
No
5 (13.5%)
Maybe someday....maybe.
11 (29.7%)
No way, are you freaking kidding me?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: NRA member: yes, no, maybe someday, or no way?  (Read 3261 times)

emrem

• View Profile
Re: NRA member: yes, no, maybe someday, or no way?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 05:18:59 PM »
LaPierre has always seemed kind of creepy, so I didn't join because of him.  But after Gunmageddon here in California, I joined up.

provvv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 08:46:52 AM »
A lot of clubs in my area (Rhode Island) require NRA membership in order to join so I got my membership in advance to joining a club.  The reason being is because the clubs around here don't necessarily make it super easy to join, so I knew that if a new membership meeting came up, there was a chance I would have little time to prepare for it (ie join the NRA if need be), so I joined proactively.  As it turns out the club I joined is very well organized and didn't require NRA membership (although it asked for your membership # on the application).

The thing I do like about the membership is the insurance... be sure to activate it though if you are a member. 

Corinthian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 09:50:05 PM »
I might be one. I'm not sure.

Ko Improbable

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 10:27:40 AM »
I was a member, multiple times, and let my membership lapse multiple times.

I don't think that my membership dues were going to the right place(s).  I think what it paid for, primarily, was additional junk mail wherein the NRA constantly pestered me for more money, and Wayne Lapierre's million dollar salary.
They're not using my dues to challenge gun prohibition laws in the courts; that's the Second Amendment Foundation, which I *am* a member of.  They're happy to ride SAF's coat tails, but they never initiate these things.
They're not (or not correctly) engaging with our legislature to rationally explain why this or that gun control bill cannot ever achieve the goal of reduction of crime rates.  Granted, I don't think SAF or GOA are, either.

What they do correctly, however, is keep an eye out for moves by the protection inequality groups, political or otherwise, and get the word out.  I don't always agree with what they view as a move to inhibit the human right of self-defense, but I'd rather an oversensitive watch than an undersensitive one.  Sadly, however, I am of the belief they have become corrupted into the same game that I believe many/most "pro-gun" elected officials play, and it's a variation of the same game that many/most "anti-gun" elected officials play.

Let's take Ted Cruz as an example.  Part of his platform is "protection of Second Amendment rights."  This is seen, by Republican voters, as strengthening his candidacy for office.  If, in the course of his duties, he were to lessen the threat to the human right of self-defense or lessen the infringement of it, Texas would not "need" him as much.  It would weaken his candidacy in the next election because he's effectively bringing less to the table.  However, if he merely fights to keep things at the status quo, resisting new forms of firearm prohibition and not repealing any existing ones, Texas' "need" for him remains the same.  If his efforts are not enough to prevent new prohibitions, then Texas "needs" him all the more during the next election cycle.
He misses, however, the powerful effect of people knowing he's going to strive, year after year, to repeal any and all protection inequality laws that are in his sphere of influence.  Even if he fails every year, imagine how powerful his Second Amendment Cred would be if he puts forward a reasonable attempt to de-fang or fully repeal Federal level gun control.

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
I have to disagree with two of your points, at least from my personal experience in my home state of Maryland.

They're not using my dues to challenge gun prohibition laws in the courts; that's the Second Amendment Foundation, which I *am* a member of.  They're happy to ride SAF's coat tails, but they never initiate these things.

They're not (or not correctly) engaging with our legislature to rationally explain why this or that gun control bill cannot ever achieve the goal of reduction of crime rates.  Granted, I don't think SAF or GOA are, either.

In 2013, the Maryland legislature passed an onerous and wide reaching law called "Firearm Safety Act of 2013." (FSA 2013)
Several Maryland 2A groups and individuals filed suit (Kolbe v. Hogan) against the new law. The NRA is providing the majority of the funding for this law suit.

During the legislative battle against FSA 2013, and in following years, our NRA-ILA liaison has been a valuable and capable asset in the fight against new infringements. Her testimony last year on a "No Fly-No Buy" type of bill was a key part of sending it to a slow death in committee.

The NRA and SAF are both fighting the good fight and I am proud to be a Life member of both.
Your vote is another cartridge in Liberty's rifle.

mesatchornug

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »
I am not now, though I have been. I support the original intent of the NRA - to support firearms ownership and marksmanship, among Americans. This will get a little long.

A bit of background - I live in MA; simple possession here requires a license. To get your license in MA, you must take a class. This class generally runs about $100. (Previously, this money, less the cost of teaching materials, went to the instructor; the NRA was getting about $12 per student for the course materials.)

Shortly after I got my license, I became an NRA instructor. At the time, I became a member. There are two NRA courses that meet the requirements to apply for a license: Home Firearms Safety (HFS), and Basic Pistol Safety (BPS). I am certified in both, and recognized by the Commonwealth as such.

Recently, the NRA "upgraded" BPS to a blended-learning format and called it "Basics of Pistol Safety." It is not an accepted course in MA; instructors are not allowed to teach the old class, or the NRA will strip you of your status and sue you for using their name to sell unsupported material. What was their response to calls of concern from instructors in MA? In short - too bad.

The NRA charges $60 for their mandatory, online portion. Blended learning does not improve student outcomes; it does create a new revenue stream for the NRA. They did all this so they can send more marketing materials and tchotchkes to folks. They wanted to make sure we know that "no election has ever been as important as this one!"

Meanwhile, the NRA has acted to block Constitutional Carry laws in NH , and generally made themselves a menace in more anti-gun states like MA. Meanwhile, every time they come up in conversation, I have to start by pulling their foot out of our collective mouth.

Further, while it is my understanding that the NRA has never taken a position on anything outside their purview, high-ranking members have, and they have been sure to use their titles in doing so. In these situations, t's not enough for the NRA to say nothing - they must speak up, and loudly, telling us that these statements do not represent the NRA, but are the positions of the individuals making them. What you tolerate, you validate.

The NRA must make it clear that they are once again a single-issue organization, and that efforts to use their name outside that issue will not be tolerated. They need to stop grabbing for every penny they can. In short, they must return to their roots of spreading marksmanship and firearms ownership to all Americans.

Until then, I have other places to send my money. I'll continue to direct it towards national groups like SAF and NSSF, local ones like GOAL and Comm2A, and teaching orgs like Appleseed. I will spend what I have left trying to grow my local PP chapter; and I will continue to teach HFS, while I still can.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
Well, I did it. I stopped procrastinating and joined the NRA, so I changed my vote from "maybe someday" to "yes". I admit to mostly joining for selfish reasons: there are active Service Rifle/Match Rifle and Bullseye leagues in my area, but you have to be an NRA member to really take part or you're stuck in unsanctioned and unranked league matches. So there you are. Life memberships are only $600 right now, so thanks to CSACANNONEER and his profile link I saved a lot of money. I'm now a Life Member. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:06:29 PM by HuckleberryFun »

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
Well, I did it. I stopped procrastinating and joined the NRA, so I changed my vote from "maybe someday" to "yes". I admit to mostly joining for selfish reasons: there are active Service Rifle/Match Rifle and Bullseye leagues in my area, but you have to be an NRA member to really take part or you're stuck in unsanctioned and unranked league matches. So there you are. Life memberships are only $600 right now, so thanks to CSACANNONEER and his profile link I saved a lot of money. I'm now a Life Member. Thanks!

Welcome to the NRA! If the pew pew gods are smiling, this should be a great year for gun rights.
Your vote is another cartridge in Liberty's rifle.

CSACANNONEER

• View Profile
    • Join the NRA
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 11:24:11 PM »

AWESOME!
Pistol, rifle, shotgun, reloading and CCW Instructor

NRA memberships - click here to join or renew at a discounted rate

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 11:42:24 PM »
Yeah no, way too right wing for me.

Andredegas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »
I believe anyone who is serious about self protection and is serious about carrying should become a member.
It could only be if it you and help you understand your rights regarding carrying and use if firearms.

KittyVector

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 04:08:59 AM »

When Wayne LaPierre is no longer running the show, maybe then...but certainly not until then!

Absolutely.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/06/16/20-plus-years-anti-gay-hate-nra/210994

I might consider the NRA only for gun insurance or discounts. But their past anti-gay and anti-background-check-within-minutes-of-a-mass-shooting attitude precludes me from doing business with them. Also, they seem mostly like an advertising agency tasked with selling more guns and ammo. 

JayNWArk1977

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 07:50:43 AM »
Yes I am a member of the NRA have been since 2012.

SystemicNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »
I was an NRA member many years ago when I first became a firearm owner, but the material they sent me was so ridiculously, hatefully and ignorantly anti-gay that I never renewed. I joined GOA (I think it was GOA - this was 30 years ago, so I may not be remembering the right one) and stuck with it for a time because it was still rabidly conservative (I'm more libertarian) but it stuck to the gun topic. Then I just let everything lapse.

I'm now considering re-joining NRA, GOA, and so on. It does seem that as long as we are willing to be more out there, and to respectfully counter any anti-gay/etc rhetoric with the facts of our existence as sexual/gender minorities who are also pro-gun/etc, maybe our place at the liberty table will continue to expand.

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »
i've been a life member since the mid 80s.  what exactly has the NRA published that struck you as anti-gay?

they are pro gun, and that's all i get from their publications.