Author Topic: New Pistol Ordered  (Read 1186 times)

gerhard1

• View Profile
New Pistol Ordered
« on: August 29, 2016, 01:48:53 PM »
SIG P229 9mm

I'll let you all know know what I think of it when it gets in. My LGS said they should get it later this week.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
Re: New Pistol Ordered
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 11:39:54 PM »
Congrats on the new acquisition, gerhard. Please give us a report after you put Herr Sig through his paces. I'm curious to know what you think.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:36:58 AM »
Congrats on the new acquisition, gerhard. Please give us a report after you put Herr Sig through his paces. I'm curious to know what you think.
It will be my pleasure.

Here is interesting video on the internal safeties of the SIG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGSAUElBVsg

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »
It will be my pleasure.

Here is interesting video on the internal safeties of the SIG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGSAUElBVsg
Here is my AAR.

100 rounds of WWB 9mm from WallyWorld went downrange today and the slide and barrel are soaking in cleaner as I type this.

The guy from my LGS may have been a bit embarrassed, as it turned out that he had one in stock all the time, so I went back down and picked it up. It was what I wanted so I plunked down the cash and walked away with the SIG (after the federal rigmarole) and since it was a nice day, even if a bit hotter than I like, I put the pistol through its' paces.

The gun handled well, and even though it is a compact version of the P226, (the dealer informed me that 226 magazines will work in the 229, for any who might be interested) it still seemed to be a bit heavy. The trigger was superb, and the pistol seemed to be accurate in my hands. Every one of the rounds I shot would have ruined someone's day, had the paper man been a bad guy.

A couple of minor negatives. The magazines were hard to seat, but that could be a function of their being new. Also they did not drop free like I prefer. Both of these likely will be dealt with as the pistol breaks in.

All-in-all, the P229 is a well-made, and well-designed piece of hardware, and as a further bonus, my particular specimen was even made in New Hampshire.

A fun day.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
Thanks much for the AAR, gerhard1. I've never handled a SIG, but you inspired me to do some looking into them. The drawbacks you mentioned do seem minor, and all in all sounds like a fine pistol.
My 1911 accustomed trigger finger would take some getting used to a 10lb DA pull, but 4.5 lbs SA sounds just about perfect for my own personal taste.

Did you ever consider getting the .357 SIG or 40S&W version? The idea that you can switch between the two mildly intrigues me, although it does seem like a lot of people are migrating back to 9mm after trying 40S&W for a while.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »
Thanks much for the AAR, gerhard1. I've never handled a SIG, but you inspired me to do some looking into them. The drawbacks you mentioned do seem minor, and all in all sounds like a fine pistol.
My 1911 accustomed trigger finger would take some getting used to a 10lb DA pull, but 4.5 lbs SA sounds just about perfect for my own personal taste.

Did you ever consider getting the .357 SIG or 40S&W version? The idea that you can switch between the two mildly intrigues me, although it does seem like a lot of people are migrating back to 9mm after trying 40S&W for a while.
It was my pleasure, kind and noble sir.  I just wanted a SIG Sauer for a while and this is the model of sidearm the US  Secret Service carries, although theirs is in 357 SIG.  It is a gun to add to my collection, plus it is great fun to shoot.

For some reason, I have never really been enamoured of the 40.  I don't really know why, but I have always preferred the 9mm or the 45 ACP. Or in wheelguns, I favor the 38/357 to almost anything else.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »
Just put another 75 or so rounds through the SIG today and I'm not a bit surprised that functioning has been flawless so far.  The only issue that I have is that the factory mags still don't drop free like the P226 magazines do but other than that, I like the pistol.  

And no; that is not a typo; you can use magazines for the P226 in this pistol.

Mostly, I tried the same thing today that I have one of the characters do in my new story, just to see if I can do it.  If I can do it anyone can.  Or something like that.

Incidentally, I am almost done with the rough draft of a fairly long short story about terrorism

Back to the pistol:  I think I have put about 400 rounds of factory hardball through it.  Mostly WWB from WallyWorld but also a few Federals and I also have some Remington stuff I'll try out.  

A gunsmith I know has said that he can fix the drop-free issue, so when I have him to put some night-sights in, I'll have to do that.

MGG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:20 PM »
Congrats on the new weapon.

As to the mag drop, a little wrist whip as you are bringing the weapon up into work space for mag change can help sling tight mags out.  At least, it works for me.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »

Almost 500 WWB FMJ's through it and nary a problem. So far, it's a fun gun to shoot and I'm very happy with it. Still kinda hesitant about carrying it. but I might do it on occasion in the future if for some reason I find it hard to carry my wheelguns.

AriaQueenOfOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:10:07 AM »
So happy to hear all this love! I've been thinking about one for a while, and as someone deeply infected by the Sig-ness it is always nice to see such positives outside of the Sig community (we do tend to get a bit fanboy-ish)

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
So happy to hear all this love! I've been thinking about one for a while, and as someone deeply infected by the Sig-ness it is always nice to see such positives outside of the Sig community (we do tend to get a bit fanboy-ish)
Thank you. It is a fine pistol and when the rain clears up and the ground dries out, I'll take it to my range and kill another pizza box.  I know that I have at least 400 roods through it without a hiccup.

However, it is not my primary carry gun.  Look at my avatar to see my EDC. The reason is that I trust that old S&W and I have carried it for years.   

SOS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 03:26:38 AM »
Congrats.  I love my P229.  They are very nice guns.