Author Topic: The topic of this board  (Read 910 times)

Gwendolyn Patton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The topic of this board
« on: July 24, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »
As the description says, this board is for topics that don't rely on firearms to offer defensive advantage.

Not every place lets citizens carry firearms, as we're probably all too aware. We're fighting to correct that, but it's an uphill battle that isn't going to be won overnight. Probably the most keenly felt such lack is Tony's home of New York. The chapter there was so hamstrung by the inability to actually practice with firearms that we finally closed down its Yahoo Group a week or so ago. When you can't shoot guns, can't own guns, can't carry guns, we have two choices: Give up, or find some OTHER defensive tool that you CAN carry.

The reason we recommend guns is because they're the MOST effective defensive tool. Pound-for-pound, a gun has the greatest force multiplication factor of ANY defensive tool, and studies have shown that having a gun increases your chances of escaping an altercation unharmed more than anything else. They aren't without their drawbacks along with their benefits, but proper training can overcome most of them. But again, if you can't HAVE one due to local laws, you have to use what you CAN use. (I know that some people simply carry them anyway, but we do not recommend that -- we emphasize LEGAL carry options, then work to increase the number of legal options over time.)

So, this board is for discussions of other defensive tools. Knives, cudgels, chemicals, electronic weapons, martial arts, this is where you discuss those.

While we focus on guns, we are keenly aware that the true weapon is the human mind. We only use such force as the last possible resort, but of all the things we do that define us as unique, as sentient beings, it is our ability to fashion, master, and use tools and techniques other than brute muscle, teeth, and nails to increase our advantage. We are tool-users, and what enables us to be such is what is between our ears. Not what is between our fingers.

A weapon is a tool," she repeated, a little breathlessly. "A tool for killing and destroying. And there will be times when, as an Envoy, you must kill and destroy. Then you will choose and equip yourself with the tools that you need. But remember the weakness of weapons. They are an extension--you are the killer and destroyer. You are whole, with or without them.
― Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
Re: The topic of this board
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 10:26:11 PM »
Ahh, Melee Weapons. The silent defense. From knives to baseball bats - a melee weapon doesn't need to be reloaded, and it's silent. Carry on ...
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

Мике Йохнсон

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »
Ahh, Melee Weapons. The silent defense. From knives to baseball bats - a melee weapon doesn't need to be reloaded, and it's silent. Carry on ...

Also, chairs, serving trays, potted plants, books, fax machines....  where are the hard surfaces?  Is the floor uneven; does it transition from time to carpet or wood?  What's the demeanor of your assailant; did he touch you, or just yell at you, is he looking around wildly, looking for an accomplice, looking at you intently without wavering?  What is your attacker wearing; loose shirt, a jacket, solid shoes, boots, tennis shoes, flip-flops?

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »
For some crazy reason I have purchased almost as many or maybe more hammers than I have firearms over the years.(I'm including the hammers I supplied each of my kids with in their tool kits as they headed out into the world.) Wicked deadly tools ... Tony's group might consider toting hammers around, they wouldn't even have to worry about concealed carry. I've pounded quite a few nails in my time, never used a hammer in self defense though, but I wouldn't hesitate if it was my only option. Likewise I have a fair collection of pocket knives. Everyone should have at least one good pocket knife.... and a hammer. IMHO...
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

nicki

• View Profile
Being "Armed" is a "State of Mind".
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 09:08:28 PM »
Being "Armed" is a "State of Mind".

Defensive tools don't operate by themselves, your brain puts them into action.
Your brain is your weapon, everything else is a "force multiplier".

Avoiding confrontations usually is the wisest course of action.
Of course some confrontations can't be avoided.

In the event you do find yourself in a violent confrontation, if you have 3 seconds to turn things around, you will be lucky.
This means that you have to be able to block and attack, then turn around and go on offense and stop your attacker.

Violence is rarely the answer, but when it is the answer, it is the ONLY ANSWER!
Stopping a violent attack means you INJURE your attacker so they are unable to continue attacking you.

How do you instantly stop an attacker:

Psychological shock: You terrify them that they stop, back off, break off attack.
Physical shock: You injury them so they can't attack, example, broken joints, arms, dislocated joints, ruptured testicles, gouged eyes, crushed windpipes. etc.
Cardiac shock: You cause sudden blood pressure loss, knife or gunshot wound to heart or perforation of aorta.
Neurological shock: Injury to spine, brain.

When you look at self defense tools, you need to understand how they work, their strengths and weaknesses.
Where guns are not available, that is where we have to get resourceful.

Walking around in a "Situation Yellow" means that you are not only scanning for threats, but you are also scanning for improvised arms as well.
Learning some type of martial arts would be useful because that way you have something regardless of where you are.

There are "self defense" training programs, Krav Maga and/or various mixed martial arts training are among the most popular.
Hand to hand defense will be something that as our organization grows, we will have people who can evaluate and come up with training criteria.

Knives are great killing arms, but stopping power is limited.

Items such as Mace, Stun guns or tasters have limitations because they are not designed to "INJURY" you attackers.
However understanding the limitations means you can work them into a self defense program.

For example, if you spray someone in the face with mace, then you break one of their joints, that will pretty much end most attacks.

If you get trained, then you practice till you Master, then if you are attacked, go on offense:

Penetrate their space
Rotate away from their attack
Injure first target of opportunity and keep injuring, multiple hits

Anything worthwhile will require a commitment of time and money. To learn this stuff most of us need to actually take classes, you are not going to learn this from reading books or watching videos.

Enough said for now.