Author Topic: Carry Gun  (Read 1623 times)

mercma363

• View Profile
Carry Gun
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:46:04 PM »
New to the forum. Just wondering what everyone carries?  Ruger SR9C IWB here.Daily carry everyday in public.  What is everyone using?

Branth

• View Profile
Re: Carry Gun
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »
I have a Steyr C9-A1 with a Viridian C5L that is my full-sized carry, and I have an IWB hybrid holster for it.

To be honest, though, I get more mileage out of a little Taurus 709 Slim in a DeSantis Nemesis.  I just tuck it in my usual carry position in my waistband, and even though it's a "pocket holster," it stays put really well.  It's great for when you're in and out of gun free zones and need to arm and disarm a lot.

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:42 PM »
Currently... Gen1 Ruger LCP. I've gotten used to the light weight compact pistol in every way except the buck and roar.
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:27:44 PM »
For the past couple of years i have carried my glock 19 iwb and Smith & Wesson mp340 in an ankle holster or pocket.

During winter i will carry an hk45 owb but covered, hoodie or carhartt.

If i have to wear a suit S&W mp340 ankle holster or bersa thunder 380cc in a sig p238 "wallet" holster.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 06:09:28 AM »
The S&W in my avatar.  It is a Model 65.

Here is another handgun I am very fond of, a S&W Model 681.

I'm about to switch from the 65 to the 681, as the 681 is just a bit heavier. I like a somewhat heavier gun in the winter time.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
Ruger SR9

soulquest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »
Will be my S&W Bodyguard .380

Branth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 02:19:01 AM »
Ruger SR9

My ex carries an SR9C - I like those little guns quite a bit.  They're good for smallish hands, IIRC.

mercma363

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 09:07:09 PM »
Hey now on the smallish hands lol. They are a great carry gun!

AndyC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 08:33:31 PM »
1911 .45 or sub-compact Sig 9mm - depend where I am, how I'm dressed, etc.
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 09:03:19 AM »
At risk of stating the obvious, the bigger revolvers are not for those with smaller hands.  With my big paws I can shoot them well, and since I'm also a bigger man, I can conceal them well, even a Smith & Wesson N-frame.

nicki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 02:38:27 AM »
There are many factors that are "unique" to us as individuals, as such what will work for will be different for each of us.

All I can do is really share my criteria and what works for me may not work for you.

1. A gun is a defensive tool, for me my choice in determining a carry gun will be based on "threat assessment".

2. What is your honest level of competency with your pistol. Yes most gun fights are close, under 3 yards, but for me I want a pistol that I can rapidly engage targets at 7 to 10 yards and be able to deliver aimed body and head shots at ranges up to 15 yards.

3.  For me my defensive gun must allow me to engage 3 plus attackers quickly. My definition of quickly is I draw my gun and place 2 shots center mass on 3 targets in under 3 seconds.  My goal is to have my fast draw stay consistently under 1.5 seconds.

One second draws are attainable with practice. The average fast reaction time is .75 seconds. If a person can get their concealed draw down to 1 to 1.3 second range, they can get their gun draw and shots fired before your attacker can process that they just got shot.

Overall I am not a fan of revolvers because I can't get rapid follow up shots.

4.  My recommended common caliber choices, 9mm, 40 cal, 45 cal. Other options although less common are the 38 super, 357 sig and 10mm.  The 9mm is the minimum caliber I would carry.

5.  If you are carrying, your gun is not a fashion accessory, it is a tool and instead of getting a gun to go with your outfits, your outfits should be tailored to go with your gun.

6.  Consider you may have to have multiple guns because not every gun is suited for everything. There will always be some trade offs, deal with it.

7. Your gun is part of your defense, don't make your personal defense "gun centric" because if you do, if you lose your gun, your become defenseless.

8. Practice to maintain marksmanship skills, train to maintain defense skills. Defensive shooting is different from target shooting. Strongly suggest taking defensive handgun courses.

9. FWIW, I carry a 45 cal. Colt XSE with at least one spare mag. I'm in Cali, so I have 10 round limits. My mags hold 8 rounds, my spare mags add another 16 rounds.  My base carry load is 25 rounds.

While I could run out of ammo, I figure my attackers will run out of "fight" first. If I am wrong, at least I will go out in a Blaze.

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »
"My definition of quickly is I draw my gun and place 2 shots center mass on 3 targets in under 3 seconds. "

that's pretty ambitious.

at the recent IDPA championship, stage 1 was one target at 7 yards, course of fire was draw and 5 shots to the body, 1 shot to the head.  6 shots total, no target to target transitions.  the winning time was 2.33 seconds with no misses.

you can try this at your local range and see how fast you go.  i tried it recently and did it in just over 6 seconds with one miss (down 1, added 0.5 seconds to my time) with my carry pistol.  most average shooters shot that stage in 3-5 seconds.

if you can do that in under 3 seconds, you one hell of a shot.  everyone else:  keep practicing.

BrassNsass

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:13 PM »
S&W bodyguard 380 in summer with less and thinner clothing. S&W shield 9mm and or glock 17 in winter depending on how much clothing I am wearing and what I am going to be doing.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
S&W bodyguard 380 in summer with less and thinner clothing. S&W shield 9mm and or glock 17 in winter depending on how much clothing I am wearing and what I am going to be doing.
Just curious:  why the G17 and not the G19?