Author Topic: Survival - the Rule of 3s  (Read 953 times)

AndyC

• View Profile
Survival - the Rule of 3s
« on: July 26, 2016, 04:15:10 PM »
When I was in the military overseas I was fortunate to go on a few bush-survival courses and of the things which have stuck with me over the years, a big one is what they called the Rule of 3s.

In short, it's a mnemonic aid to help you prioritize your needs and basically it means that, in extreme conditions, you can survive for:

* 3 minutes without Air.
* 3 hours without Shelter.
* 3 days without Water.
* 3 weeks without Food.

Some folks add "3 months without Hope" to that list, which is grim but probably quite true.

Not much point in trying to find water if you're on the verge of freezing to death, you know? It's a pretty easy sequence to remember - so if you're ever stuck, arrange your priorities accordingly.
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners.

Jarrod Matham

• View Profile
Re: Survival - the Rule of 3s
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
You can survive 3 hours without shelter?
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caeser

AndyC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:17:39 PM »
I'm not sure what it is you're asking.
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners.

Jarrod Matham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:28:06 PM »
You know what, my bad, I failed to see the caveat "in extreme conditions." Disregard.
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caeser

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »
When I was in the military overseas I was fortunate to go on a few bush-survival courses and of the things which have stuck with me over the years, a big one is what they called the Rule of 3s.

In short, it's a mnemonic aid to help you prioritize your needs and basically it means that, in extreme conditions, you can survive for:

* 3 minutes without Air.
* 3 hours without Shelter.
* 3 days without Water.
* 3 weeks without Food.

Some folks add "3 months without Hope" to that list, which is grim but probably quite true.

Not much point in trying to find water if you're on the verge of freezing to death, you know? It's a pretty easy sequence to remember - so if you're ever stuck, arrange your priorities accordingly.
Good post AndyC. Yes in the extreme situations these are the rule of thumb inspiring goals to remember. Keeping your head and targeting a time goal.
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

AndyC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:33:59 PM »
Thanks - it's nothing extraordinary or magic, it's just a quick guide to keep in mind when trying to figure out what you need to do next.

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »
Appropriate steps/points to insure survival. Yes?
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

AndyC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 12:37:29 AM »
Assuming one has the relevant skills to procure/make shelter, fire, clean water, etc - yes

PDX BiMarine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 05:23:42 AM »
the idea here is order of operations yea? keys to keeping your head is to have a plan. to have spent time thinking about what one would do if ____.

Branth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:16:25 PM »
3 minutes without air?  I would think 60 seconds is more than most people could do, let alone 3 minutes in "extreme" conditions of rigorous physical activity...

The rest seem very plausible for me, though.  It's all contextual, though - If it's summer in a temperate zone, I'm gonna worry about water before I worry about shelter, but if it's cold and nasty?  Definitely shelter.

AndyC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »
Absolutely contextual, yes.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »
To the above mnemonic I might add: 3 seconds without a weapon.
At least in certain situations.