Author Topic: starting from scratch, want advice  (Read 380 times)

fabricdragon

• View Profile
starting from scratch, want advice
« on: November 10, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
so, my moderately anti gun hubby finally said we need a gun.
or rather he agreed i can have one in the house .  and thats its worth the money.

i was army, so i have basic familiarity, but!  i have PETS so shotgun scatter is a no go for me.

i am  disabled, went to the range recently with a friend... i liked the heavier  pistols, semi auto, i DO NOT cope with sharp  light recoil on my arthritis, i dealt better with a  heavier recoil that didnt "snap"

given that.
i am vending at a gun show in december,  so i want to  be able to buy by then at the latest. i can buy before obviously.

i DO NOT have my permit yet, but as a honorably discharged veteran in philadelphia, i believe i can get one.  just havent looked into it much

advice?
thanks (cross posted to another group, yes)

gerhard1

• View Profile
Re: starting from scratch, want advice
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
Have you considered a moderately heavy 357 revolver?  Since they can shoot 38 special rounds the recoil should not an issue especially if mid-range (low-velocity) 38 wadcutter rounds are used.

I have arthritis and the 38's work well for me.  I even conceal a 4" S&W 686 quite well.

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »
Which of your friend's guns did you like when you had your range trip?
Were any of them suitable for carry?
Or are you more concerned with a home defense weapon?
Your vote is another cartridge in Liberty's rifle.

Greyven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »
Hi!  My 2 cents, I have early arthritis and nerve damage in my 'strong' hand, and while I prefer 9mm for cost and my general performance with it, .45ACP is a much more manageable round, even from something like a Springfield XD.  Rent one at the range, and keep in mind you can always put pachymahr or hogue grips on it to help pad and spread the recoil.  FWIW, .45 is less of a snap and more of a big push, so it should definitely be more tolerable to you.

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:57:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum fabricdragon. Heavier guns give a more gentle push, yes.  My carry gun has a bit of snap to it that if it weren't so small I would want something with some heft to it.
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

Branth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:48:10 AM »
If you want something you can carry, then by all means go for a handgun, but I wonder from your question if you might be discounting a shotgun too soon.

Shotguns do spread, true, but it's a lot less than you might think.  Across reasonable distances within the home, I'd be surprised if a shotgun would spread to more than a basketball sized group.  A nice 20ga shotgun could be a good tool - I've heard it described as half the recoil of the 12ga with three quarters of the power.  If you find the recoil agreeable, it could be an option, though it is certainly less maneuverable than a handgun - A shotgun is a tool you use to hold a fixed location, not something you'd want to be maneuvering through the house with.  If you think you may have to go grab the husband or any kids in the house, a handgun would be a better choice.

Do you think you may move towards concealed carry, or is this specifically a home defense gun?