Author Topic: Shotgun Shopping  (Read 489 times)

Iryshe1

• View Profile
Shotgun Shopping
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »
I am a woman looking for a shotgun and wanted to get some advise.  I am familiar with rifles, but I've only fired a shotgun once. I'm looking for something that would be good for home protection, that could also be used for hunting. Any recommendations? Thanks.

diane123

• View Profile
Re: Shotgun Shopping
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
What do you want to hunt? The game you aim for will tell you what shot gun to purchase.

A great way to learn shot gun shooting in preparation for hunting is to shoot sporting clays. Its a bit like golf but with shot guns and moving targets. You walk a lot so there is the exercise. Some folks rent carts but I always walk. You can usually find an instructor at sporting clays locations. Try a few guns before you buy one. You can spend a couple hundred to "sky is the limit". Check out some of the on line used gun sales sites too.

For sporting clays you will typically use a 12 gauge 30" + in barrel gun. I use an o/u breaking 12 gauge shot gun from Rizzini. But my first sporting clays gun was a Browning 12 gauge automatic.

For pheasant, I have a nice 20 gauge, a Zoli Rizzini for Abercrombie and Fitch I like. The barrel is shorter and the gun lighter.

Some folks hunt deer with shot guns. I don't so I have no advice for you here.

For home defense you will want a shorter barrel auto. If you are in a hall moving for example, I would imagine you would want something like a "coach gun" with a very short barrel.

Hope that helps you with your search.

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
Tough to make an intelligent recommendation without a little more data.

Home defense is a higher priority than hunting, if I am reading your post correctly. That narrows it down to either a pump or semi-auto since Joe Biden's advice on a double barrel is ludicrous. In a situation with potential multiple aggressors, two shots just won't cut it.

Next question is 12 or 20 gauge. What was the shotgun you only fired once? And why did you only fire it once? Was the recoil excessive?

In either gauge, a 18 or 20 inch barrel will be handiest in the tighter confines of your home.

For hunting, the big question is what are you after. Upland game birds, migratory waterfowl, and deer are all going to need different tools.
Your vote is another cartridge in Liberty's rifle.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
Ask to look at and try what they have at your local gunshops. When you come across what feels right for you you'll know. When starting out I'd generally recommend staying with the tried and true standbys rather than some off brand or oddball model. You can be more "odd" later. In shotguns you might start with (but not limit yourself to) looking at Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 models. They are ubiquitous, have a proven track record, and come in many varieties and flavors for both defense and hunting. Tell the people in any gunshop what you want and you will never want for advice (wanted or not) on what is best.

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »
Hi there Iryshe1. I'm with the folks above and would go for a 20 gauge pump. Oh, and welcome to the forum...
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

CSACANNONEER

• View Profile
    • Join the NRA
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »
Many people will suggest a 20g for a female shooter. While the suggestion dos have some merit, even a little person can be very comfortable shooting a 12g if it fits properly and he or she is shooting it properly. So, don't rule out a 12g. Hell, I've met a few women shooters who shoot 500-1000 rounds of 12g almost EVERY DAY and have since they were 10-12 years old. Perceived recoil has more to do with fit, proper shooting techniques and ammo selection that the size of the bore. That said, I will suggest a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Both are great guns and you can easily find additional barrels. Look at both 12g and 20g ones and figure out which one suits your wants and needs the best. While I like 16g and 28g shotguns, I would not recommend either as a first shotgun since, ammo selection is more limited.
Pistol, rifle, shotgun, reloading and CCW Instructor

NRA memberships - click here to join or renew at a discounted rate

Branth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:06:58 AM »
If you're strained for budget, I've had excellent results with my H&R Pardner Pump 12ga.  It's basically an 870 knockoff, and actually shares a lot of parts with the 870.  They're $200 new versus twice that or more for a Remy.  I threw a buttstock shell holder and a sidesaddle velcro mount on it and I have an honest to god tactical shotgun for $250 that (IMO) is every bit as good as a Remington Express, though not as nice as a Wingmaster, of course.