Author Topic: S&W Model 22 45 ACP Revolver  (Read 460 times)

gerhard1

• View Profile
S&W Model 22 45 ACP Revolver
« on: December 07, 2016, 08:49:30 AM »
Here is a C&P of a post I made on another forum several months  back.
Having had this particular wheelgun for about eight or nine years now, I decided to give it a formal review here in the GTR section.

Here is a stock picture of it from the IMFDb:

Mine differs only in the presence of plainclothes Magna stocks and a T-grip adapter.

It is an N-frame S&W in 45 Auto with a 4" barrel and loads with either moonclips or with the 45 Auto Rim (AR) cartridges. 45 AR is ballistically identical to the 45 Auto rounds but instead of being rimless, it has an ultra-thick rim allowing for proper headspacing. Personally, I use the moonclips. They are quite fast to reload with and also prevent the cases from scattering all over the place.

A fair description of it could be that it is a 4" version of the M1917 wheelgun from WWI. I have the 5 1/2" version of it as well. and there are two threads on it already.

Today, I took it out to my range and gave it a workout. About 70-80 rounds went downrange and the gun handled well. Most, in fact almost all of them were close range hip shots and the paper man was killed as dead as could be. The DA pull on this gun was quite good coming from the factory which is unusual, as many, if not most of this particular model as well as the M-1917 already referred to, had totally crappy triggers. Mine is good in that regard but the M-1917 was not and kanhunter had to do quite a bit of work on it before it was good.

I had an interesting encounter on my way to the range. I stopped and looked at some construction work and one of the local police chiefs happened by. I took the opportunity to show him my setup and he seemed to be favorably impressed with what he saw but suggested that I add some height to the berm, saying that if someone shot there who did not shoot well, it could be a problem. He also showed me the method of close-range hip or point shooting that the police are being taught down here. It is basically a version of the old speed-rock where the gun is held quite close to the body. It is no doubt familiar to many of you.

~snip~

Anyway, back to the Model 22--if someone likes wheelguns and wants to carry a 45 ACP, this would be a good selection. It is rugged, and shoots a good combat-proven cartridge. I love mine.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
Re: S&W Model 22 45 ACP Revolver
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »
I'm fond of Smith revolvers, and since I'm also fond of 1911s I have mucho .45acp ammo.
This pairs up nicely. Good review, thanks for posting it.

gerhard1

• View Profile
Re: S&W Model 22 45 ACP Revolver
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:05:18 PM »
I'm fond of Smith revolvers, and since I'm also fond of 1911s I have mucho .45acp ammo.
This pairs up nicely. Good review, thanks for posting it.
Your kind words are greatly appreciated. 

Here is a review of the S&W Model 625 that I did about nine years ago.  I was a working PI when I did it and the 625 was one of the guns that I qualified with and carried.

This is a sort of 'take-off' on a previous post done here on another S&W. Only this is a different frame size and caliber. The 642 is J-frame(small), while the 625 is an N-frame(large).

The one that I have is in 45 ACP with a full-underlug 4" barrel. S&W sometimes makes it in 45 Colt as well. It comes from the factory with Hogue Monogrips, and Patridge style front sight. Mine wears the Pachmayr Compacs, which I vastly prefer. The front sight has also been changed to a ramp.

There were some problems associated with this revolver when it first came from the factory. The most irritating was that the extractor rod kept working loose and tying the handgun up. The extractor rod got bent while trying to tighten it up and had to be replaced, and the gunsmith who replaced it made sure that it was tight this time around. He also used the proper tool to do the job.  Another problem was that the charge holes were not chamfered, and I had the gun smith to do this on an earlier job.

The action required some time to 'smooth up' and now is as slick as I have ever seen on any Smith revolver. About 3,000 rounds of mostly factory hard ball have been put through it and it will handle any reasonable handload as well, as it is +P rated. Accuracy, for me is quite good, and I am over-all, very pleased with it. Recoil is very manageable with the Wally-World white box stuff, and with my special loads, it is about like shooting a .38 Special. I have shot the PI qualification course with this gun four times, and am able to get 12 good shots off in 18 seconds.

Now, for CCW; this is a surprisingly easy gun for me to carry. I carried it at the Get-Together, and while one or two of you may have spotted it, I doubt that it would be all that noticeable with the right clothes.

Is this the gun for everyone? Of course not, but for a big guy like me, it is a good choice in my view. In any event, I am happy with it
Like I said, this review was done close to nine years ago, and the old gun has had considerably more rounds fired through it since then.