Author Topic: Choosing a firearm  (Read 1466 times)

captainkaos

• Firearms instructor in training
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a firearm
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 09:13:51 PM »
So far, my 1911's have been Colt, Kimber, and Llama.
The Colt's were the best of the bunch, but the Llama was surprising. The only time it malfunctioned was with extremely crappy cast lead bullet reloads.
The only work I did to it was to tighten up the trigger a bit.
For the money it was a great value.
I would not be afraid to buy one of the Turkish pistols you posted a link to.
If they shoot at all I can't see how you could go wrong.

SOS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 03:21:07 AM »
Choosing a gun for conceal carry is a personal decision because guns fit and feel differently based on the person.  It is also a compromise because a gun that may be easy to shoot, may not be as easy to conceal and a gun that conceals easy may not be as accurate due to size.

I recommend using a process to find the right gun:
- go to a couple gun stores and handle several guns - look at how it feels in the hand, can you reach and operate the magazine release, slide, slide stop, pull trigger.  Try to handle all that are recommended here.  If the store will let you try testing the guns in a position you think you might carry it using one of the universal holsters to get a feel if it could be concealed.  Write down several that feel good.
- Research all the guns that felt good when you were handling them.  Do they have good reputations and reviews.
- Go to a range (or may have to be a couple) that rents guns.  Try to rent as many of the guns that you liked when handling and researched showed to be good.  How do they feel when shooting?  Are you more accurate with one than others?  Are there certain features that you like or don't like as far as style?
- After narrowing it down to one or two, I recommend going back and renting the gun again, maybe even firing more rounds and possibly even a few of a defensive ammo to make sure that you know which one feels the best.

As far as specific recommendations,  there are some standard ones that are popular:
- SW Shield or MP compact
- Glock 19, 26, 43, 42
- Sig P229, P239, P938
- Ruger LCP, LC9, SR9c

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »
if you are a new shooter, get a full size pistol to learn how to shoot.  it won't beat you up as much, has a longer barrel and sight radius (making it easier to aim and having better accuracy), and is a double stack 9mm.

if you go to Operation Blazing Sword, there are literally over 1000 instructors who have offered FREE training, and i'll bet most have more than one gun in their safe that they would take to the range and let someone try out. 

i have more than one (cough) pistol, and if you contacted me, we'd go to the range with several pistols to try out.

trying to learn to shoot with a small gun will make you very frustrated very quickly, you won't learn, you won't practice enough to get good, and ultimately, you will have wasted your time and money getting a pistol upfront that was not a good first choice.

Scootnyinzer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 03:08:42 PM »
My partner has a Walther PPS 9mm which is roughly the same size as the Glock 43, and it is amazing. We rented several guns and a Walther wasn't even on our list. From a Glockb43 to a Walther POS, his accuracy improved radically. And there is currently a $100 rebate in play.

I have a Sig P238 .380, which is not as newbie friendly and very expensive. But the size of the dog still allows easy pocket holstering, while still feeling like a full sized gun.

For super concealabity and low price, Ruger LCP2 and Taurus TCP are quite good, but guns that small are painful to shoot and not fun to practice with.

A PPS can be had for $300-350 after rebate. You must try one.  Right now, I can buy a Taurus TCP for $151, so for learning on a very accurate, concealable 9mm, PPS all the way. For a tiny, reliable .380 that you can hide in the pocket of your skinny jeans that is cheap as ramen noodles, TCP 738