Author Topic: Pink Pistols at NRA Annual Meeting 2017?  (Read 224 times)

CENTRAL FL CHAPTER

• View Profile
Pink Pistols at NRA Annual Meeting 2017?
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:06:45 PM »
I have just had a discussion with senior officials at the NRA and they are seeking to make a strong connection with us. They would like to be able to move this forward at their Annual Meeting which will be held April 27-30 in Atlanta, Georgia and asked if I could find out roughly how many of our Pink Pistols Members are planning to attend.
For anyone who hasn't been at these meetings before, it's like a gun show on steroids and has so many things to see and do that you struggle to fit it all in! They also have fantastic speakers and workshops where you are learning from the folks at the top of their fields - and a multitude of musical and other social events.
If you are planning to go, please let me know ASAP via email (to jo@empowerfirearmstraining.com) so that I can give them a best estimate of our numbers to enable them to plan  for us at their end - please put "NRA Atlanta" in the subject line so I can easily separate from other emails coming in. Thanks, Jo, Pink Pistols of Central Florida Chapter. 

KittyVector

• View Profile
Re: Pink Pistols at NRA Annual Meeting 2017?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:03:25 AM »
I'd rather not.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/06/16/20-plus-years-anti-gay-hate-nra/210994

And not just on gay issues. I find fault with the NRA's past political rhetoric, like spreading terror and fear against Democrats waving a specter of gun confiscation after EVERY mass shooting simply to stoke gun sales. They actively block any national conversation about safer access to firearms within minutes of every mass shooting. For these, and many other reasons, I can't see myself ever giving them a dime.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:39:22 AM by KittyVector »

VeganPilotMarty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
I have yet to find any organizatioin, politician, viewpoint that seems to match my views about everything 100% of the time.

As a vegan I hate the NRA promotion of hunting.  I love their promotion of gun safety.  I am a certifited (for whatever you might think thats worth), NRA pistol instructor.  I didn't even inquire about getting a Pistol Instructor certificate from PETA.

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »
no one will make you go hunting.  no one will make you eat something you killed.  no one will make you own and carry a gun.

but if you want to do any or all of those, there aren't too many organizations that will fight for your right to do so.

VeganPilotMarty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »
Yup. My point. For me it is the only reason I belong to the NRA.

SystemicNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
It sounds like a great idea to have as many Pink Pistols at the NRA Annual Meeting. Getting straight conservatives to realize that being gay/etc doesn't always have to also mean anti-gun/etc has helped us tremendously.

chibajoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
I'd rather not.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/06/16/20-plus-years-anti-gay-hate-nra/210994

And not just on gay issues. I find fault with the NRA's past political rhetoric, like spreading terror and fear against Democrats waving a specter of gun confiscation after EVERY mass shooting simply to stoke gun sales. They actively block any national conversation about safer access to firearms within minutes of every mass shooting. For these, and many other reasons, I can't see myself ever giving them a dime.

Um, after every mass shooting, Democrats at both the National and State level push to enact more restrictive firearm laws.  Usually, this is some sort of "assault weapon" ban, regardless of the type of weapon used in the shooting (and in spite of actual crime statistics indicating that rifles are used in less than 4% of homicides).  So, I would say that the NRA fear of Democrats is perfectly reasonable.

If you believe in the individual right to own a gun, not supporting the single most effective lobbying organization for gun rights in the United States is the height of hypocrisy.  I don't agree with a lot of the stances that the NRA has taken in the past, but I am a life member.  As a life member, I can vote in the elections, and elect people to the board who are more in line with my sentiments.  There's a reason the NRA BOD isn't a bunch of old white men anymore, and that reason is because of people like me.   ;)