Author Topic: Choosing a firearm  (Read 462 times)

skyteam1

• View Profile
Choosing a firearm
« on: January 11, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
Hello.
I'm looking to purchase a CCW in Indiana and was looking for recommendations. The Beretta Nano is an appealing option to me.
Thanks

MGG

• View Profile
Re: Choosing a firearm
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »
Go to a range that rents and tell them your intent of use for your purchase.  They may cut you a deal on your rental and let you test fire multiple weapons for less than one rental per weapon.  That can help you narrow down what fits you.  Then go back and rent the finalists and shoot them over multiple visits.

Then buy

Good Luck!

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
the smaller the pistol, the more the felt recoil, and the less pleasant it will be to shoot and improve your confidence and proficiency.  for newbies, i'd suggest a full size pistol to start.

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
here's a thread i posted some time ago on this very topic:

http://forum.pinkpistols.org/index.php?topic=14.0

skyteam1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:44:08 PM »
Got a few recommendations via internet
Glock 26 G3 / 19 G4 / 43
Beretta Nano
SWMP 9C
SWMP Shield 9mm
Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9mm
FNS 9C
Sig Sauer P250 Compact Carry
Springfield XDs 9mm

MGG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 02:41:08 PM »
Got a few recommendations via internet
Glock 26 G3 / 19 G4 / 43
Beretta Nano
SWMP 9C
SWMP Shield 9mm
Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9mm
FNS 9C
Sig Sauer P250 Compact Carry
Springfield XDs 9mm

IF you find yourself liking the G43, take a good look at the G26.  The width difference is .15".  The capacity difference is significant.
My FIL has the M&P Shield C.  Very nice little weapon.

AriaQueenOfOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 01:23:38 AM »
Personally I use a Sig P290 in .380 for my little gun, and my husband has an old ppk in .22, and is hoping to get a Walther p380 soon. I've been looking at getting a Sig P238, not sure the caliber yet, but one of the ones with the rainbow slide, well, cause its cute :P

Sergal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:45 AM »
Personally I use a Sig P290 in .380 for my little gun, and my husband has an old ppk in .22, and is hoping to get a Walther p380 soon. I've been looking at getting a Sig P238, not sure the caliber yet, but one of the ones with the rainbow slide, well, cause its cute :P

If he's a walther fan he might want to give the CCP a look.  I've been hearing good things.  (Altho these good things are from your paid gun shills, it's still worth a looksee)

AriaQueenOfOmega

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
I think I would be hard pressed to find a Walther that my husband doesn't love :P. That said, in the end, do with your gut. For something you plan on carrying everyday it is vital that a few key things be met. You Need to be comfortable with it. It needs to feel natural in the hand. You need to like the way it feels. You should be willing and able to get a shit-load of range time with it. It needs to be in a caliber you can handle well one handed, off handed, and comfortably, because for something your carrying every day you never know. I carry my p290 everywhere I go in my purse, but i also usually carry my Kimber Royal II or one of my full size Sigs as well  (either a 226 mk 25 navy in 9, an sp2022 in .40, or my 220 hunter in 10), but that is me. I can't say what works for you. In the end concealed is all about comfort, functionality, reliability, and ease of use. What works for you works for you. Just remember they make concealed holsters/bags/etc for so many guns for a reason. Good luck, and happy shooting! :D

GeoBof

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »
I was an FFL for many years and found initially most people want more gun than they can comfortably carry all season. Don't shy away from the smaller calibers that are comfy to shoot and easy to pack.

CSACANNONEER

• View Profile
    • Join the NRA
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:45 PM »
There are a few things to consider. The first is FIT. How a gun fits a particular person is important. Don't just take someone else's recommendations based on their personal preference. The next thing to do is ask yourself "what gun do you want to have if you ever need to use it to protect yourself? That answer should be easy. "The one you shoot the best" should be the only answer you can think of. For most people, the handgun they shoot the best tends to be a full sized handgun. After considering that, GeoBof has a good point, for CCWing, you might need to compromise when it comes to your EDC. You lifestyle, body shape, method of carry, etc. will all come into play when deciding on a EDC firearm. While I shoot one of my 1911s exceptionally well and have CCWed it for year, I have to admit that once I bought a Shield (that I don't shoot as well as my 1911s), it almost immediately became my EDC due to comfort, convenience, easy to maintain and cost to replace/depreciation. I've also picked up a Sig 238 for a CCW gun but, I've only carried it while out of state. I'm in CA and have to list each firearm on my CCW and just haven't got around to removing one and replacing it with the P238 yet.
Pistol, rifle, shotgun, reloading and CCW Instructor

NRA memberships - click here to join or renew at a discounted rate

AlexTheSane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »
Hello.
I'm looking to purchase a CCW in Indiana and was looking for recommendations. The Beretta Nano is an appealing option to me.
Thanks

I had a Nano and I found it to be difficult to shoot accurately due to my large hands.  The S&W Shield is a much better fit for me.