Author Topic: S&W Model 617  (Read 289 times)

gerhard1

• View Profile
S&W Model 617
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:16:16 AM »
This is S&W's latest K-22.  It is a 10-shot revolver in 22 Long Rifle.

Picked it up a  few days ago and my initial impression was mixed. It is a very sturdy-appearing gun, and it is amazingly heavy but on reflection, that should not have been surprising since it has a lot of metal in the barrel with the full under-lug and it being a 22, leaves a lot of material that would be taken out of a larger-caliber gun. The grips (the same ones as in the picture in the OP) were very comfortable and it seems to be well-made and exceedingly strong.

The thing that I was concerned with was the terrible trigger pull. I mean it was just plain terrible. It was rough, gritty and (in a major turnabout from S&W) quite stagy. Now, in all fairness, the gun was brand-new and this could be a major factor, and I expected that it would wearin as I shoot it.

Once I got it broken in, I was confident that I'd really like it.

Basically shooting it was a mixed bag. It is a fun gun to shoot (aren't they all?) and it seems to be accurate in my hands, but the trigger is still very rough and did not return sometimes. I put around eighty rounds down range and the bottle (empty, of course) of Diet Mt. Dew and the pizza box were well and truly killed, but pulling the trigger seemed to take a lot more effort than it needs to.

I think I'll give it a few more sessions and see if there is sufficient improvement and if I don't think there is, I'll contact the factory and see about sending it back for repair.

In short, the gun shows a lot of promise and now that I have found (for the moment at least) a dependable source of 22 LR ammo, it might mean that my range gets a lot more use.

LATER:

The 617 is starting to wear in and and I can see some real improvement now after cycling it a few hundred times with my thumb slowing the hammer down. The trigger returns consistently now as well. I think that all it needed was to wear in and I think that this one handgun will see a lot of use.

As soon as it dries out (we just had a rain storm down here) I'll get the lawn mowed and and as soon as that's done, I'll do some more shooting.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
Re: S&W Model 617
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
I'm a fan of classic Smith revolvers. A "terrible" trigger pull back in the day was unheard of.
Still a Smith fan, but it's widely acknowledged that their current production does not compare with the craftsmanship and attention to detail they had in the past. So, my preference is to hunt for lightly used "treasures" rather than buy new. Your 617 is still very nice though.  :)

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
I'm a fan of classic Smith revolvers. A "terrible" trigger pull back in the day was unheard of.
Still a Smith fan, but it's widely acknowledged that their current production does not compare with the craftsmanship and attention to detail they had in the past. So, my preference is to hunt for lightly used "treasures" rather than buy new. Your 617 is still very nice though.  :)
I hear you and I am pleased to say that the trigger pull has much improved.  As a matter of fact, I'm about to say 'to hell with the yard' and go do some shooting instead.  It's too wet to mow anyway.  *wink-wink*

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »
I hear you and I am pleased to say that the trigger pull has much improved.  As a matter of fact, I'm about to say 'to hell with the yard' and go do some shooting instead.  It's too wet to mow anyway.  *wink-wink*
Got back from my range a while ago and put about 80-100 more rounds downrange. The action is really almost as smooth as my other S&W's now and it is a joy to shoot.

What I did was to hold the hammer with my thumb so it would not let the firing pin strike the cylinder and worked the action a few hundred times. That, plus a number of live rounds through it have greatly smoothed the action.

I have heard it said that the best polishing job on a S&W is to shoot them in, and I believe it.