Author Topic: Walther PPK/s 22  (Read 263 times)

gerhard1

• View Profile
Walther PPK/s 22
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
One of the things that I go by when picking up a new gun is does the manufacturer have a good reputation? Walther is a name with a sterling reputation among shooters including me and having shot two other Walther pistols (a P-38 in 9mm, and a PP in 32 ACP) I was expecting to sail through the function-firng session with flying colors.

The pistol proved unreliable, with scarcely a magazine full that didn't have a stoppage, or two.

All-in-all, I was disappointed in this pistol, but it could just be that it is new and needs to be worn in. Or possibly this particular gun does not like Winchester ammo. When it comes to ammo, I understand that 22 pistols are very finicky, so I'll experiment with various types and brands of rimfire ammunition. It is a good-looking pistol, and it is German-made, with a nice nickel finish, but the reliability issue has me somewhat concerned.

When it functioned properly, the pistol was great fun to shoot, and once this reliability issue is taken care of it will likely be one of my favorite plinkers. But that is job one: improving the reliability. Without that, the pistol is nothing, no matter whose name is on it.

This was reported some time back on another forum.

Here is a picture of the gun from the Walther site.

It seems that the feeding problems were taken care of by a gunsmith near me, and now the gun is a joy to shoot.  They were fixed, the smith said by deburring the frame and slide, and also by the breaking-in process.  Since the 22  ammo shortage has ended, I am now able to shoot it regularly, and after deburring, it is a joy to shoot.

I have over 500 rounds through it, and there have been very few problems.  One was probably when I did not hold it firmly enough and the slide malfunctioned.  Blowback (recoil-operated) pistols have to have resistence in order to function correctly, otherwise the frame moves back with the slide, and the case fails to eject.  A couple of others have been failures to fire (relatively common in rimfire rounds) but another hammer strike was all it took.

So, I think that the reliablity issue has been resolved, and now that I can depend on it going 'bang' reliably, it is a great little plinker. 

As for carrying it, there are a few things in favor of that idea.   Ten rounds, plus one up the spout, very accurate, and also very low recoil, and inexpensive ammo to boot, so a lot of practice can be had for relatively low cost.  Thoise are the plusses.  Overriding these very major advantages, is an almost total lack of stopping power.  Against (speaking rhetorically here) mice, rats, squirrels, it is good, but not as a self-defense cartridge against humans unless shots are placed very precisely or you just pour rounds into your adversary.

This said, it is better than nothing, and on those occasions when a bigger gun is notv prectical, it is oine option to consider.  When I see my healthcare provider, I have carried the PPK/s in a pants pocket and left it in my auto when I saw her.  Much easier than taking a belt holster off and replacing it when I'm done.

In short, if you are sensitive to recoil, as in arthritis or something similar, this pistol would be worthy of consideration.  But you have be aware of its' limitations.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
Re: Walther PPK/s 22
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
Interesting. I'm ready to reconsider my EDC gun and method and my two most likely guns I'm leaning toward would be either a little Smith snubby in .38 or .32, or else a very compact semi-auto in .380 or 9mm such as a Walther PPK or M&P Shield. I shoot a lot (and I do mean *a lot*) of .22lr (as well as .38 and .45) for Bullseye training and competition, so I too know well how finicky most any .22 will be.
I went through many brands and loads before finding the one my Smith Model 41 likes best of all.

I'll give the .22 Walther a look.
Thanks for the review.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »
Interesting. I'm ready to reconsider my EDC gun and method and my two most likely guns I'm leaning toward would be either a little Smith snubby in .38 or .32, or else a very compact semi-auto in .380 or 9mm such as a Walther PPK or M&P Shield. I shoot a lot (and I do mean *a lot*) of .22lr (as well as .38 and .45) for Bullseye training and competition, so I too know well how finicky most any .22 will be.
I went through many brands and loads before finding the one my Smith Model 41 likes best of all.

I'll give the .22 Walther a look.
Thanks for the review.
Thank you for the kind words. I was 'shooting' it today and since I have plenty of Winchester ammo on hand, I decided to try that.  Not a good move. There was hardly a magazine-full that did not have BIG problems.  Failure to extract, for the most part, but also FTF.  I guess I'll have to stick to brands other than Winchester for this little Bond gun.  It just doesn't seem to like it.

Booger Hooked Bang Switch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 02:20:40 AM »
[..]or else a very compact semi-auto in .380 or 9mm such as a Walther PPK or M&P Shield.
Have you considered a Seecamp? Tiny (and I mean TINY, they're smaller than a wallet) semi autos in .25, .32 and .380 auto. They're about $500 for the .25 and .32, $700 for the .380.

gerhard1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 06:40:38 PM »
My PPK/s definitely seems to like the Remington ammunition, as I have put about 400-500 rounds (actually a lot more than that, but I am being conservative) throught it without a problem. 

Actually, there was one misfire, but a quick second squeeze of the trigger made it go 'bang'. 

Now, like I said earlier, this gun, while it has points in its' favor, also has some rather obvious limitations.  It is very inexpensive. Also, it is accurate and easy to shoot, and has almost no real recoil, so a person who has arthritis should be able to handle it.  That leads into the chief limitation:  that it's a 22, with almost no real power.

Is it useless for SD?  No; but please recognize its' limitations.  The gun  has to be kept clean, and it seems to be very picky about what it is fed.  Mine does well with Remington, and from I hear, this is not unusual.  I have yet to ry Federals and I KNOW it does not like Winchester.

So, keep these things in mind and the PPK/s should serve you well. Plus, it is also a hell of a lot of fun.