Author Topic: Rifle Shopping  (Read 2002 times)

L7891

• View Profile
Rifle Shopping
« on: July 31, 2016, 01:34:31 AM »
So I'm looking to purchase my first rifle. I'm still a fairly new shooter and new to guns all together. My first and so far only firearm is my CZ 75 SP-01 pistol, which I LOVE. But, I had some money to spend on that lol. So for a rifle I'm trying not to go over $500 if I can. In my short time browsing online and reading reviews I came across the Mossberg Blaze Semi-Auto Rimfire Rifle which seems to have some descent reviews and is in my price range. Does anyone have any experience with this particular rifle? Or have any other recommendations for a first time rifle shooter? I don't plan on hunting with it, just something to go target shooting. I'm also a 5'4" female if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any input!

http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-Blaze-SemiAuto-Rimfire-Rifle/product/2234131/

Badreligion1979

• View Profile
Re: Rifle Shopping
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:47:07 AM »
I would recommend the Ruger 10/22 as a first rifle for someone looking for a rimfire rifle. The Ruger 10/22 has been around for over 50 years and is a well proven and quite easily the most popular rimfire rifle ever made, might even be the most popular rifle ever made. There is quite a large aftermarket industry for the Ruger 10/22 also. There are multiple aftermarket options for every part of the rifle also. So while the basic 10/22 will function just fine for decades with a little lube, a little cleaning and good ammo there are plenty of options for those who want to customize it so that it shoots faster, more accurate, more reliable, or just looks different.

BuddhaFett

• Mando'ad draar digu aliit ori'shya tal'din.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:53:23 AM »
I second the Ruger 10/22 as a choice.  The factory length of pull is not going to be too long for you and you will be spending quite a bit less than the $500 so you can get ammo and other goodies to go with it like spare magazines and a case.
Quote from: James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

JohnB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:56:42 AM »
If your heart is set on a semi-automatic action, I'll happily chime in with another vote for the Ruger 10-22.

I would suggest a bolt action for a new shooter as a first rifle, though.
  • The bolt action is a very simple mechanism, so it is easy and quick to clean.
  • Having to work the bolt for each shot slows you down and forces you to focus on the fundamentals of sight picture, breathe and trigger control, etc.
  • They are easier to load with a single round than most semi-autos.

If your smaller stature and length of pull are a concern, check out the Ruger American Rimfire. They are available in both a Standard and Compact version.
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/overview.html
Your vote is another cartridge in Liberty's rifle.

Ko Improbable

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 07:53:13 AM »
The Blaze is pretty new.  I've not heard anything negative about it, but Mossberg has been a bit hit-or-miss, lately, on semi-automatic rimfire models preceding this, and you tend to get what you pay for.  Also, I'm somewhat out of the loop, now that I'm not selling guns at a gun shop anymore (there may be plenty negative being said about it and I'm just not hearing it).

Trying not to push my own passion onto you, too much, but you might go with a bolt-action and focus on accuracy.  The Savage Mark II ( http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIF ) can probably be gotten for about the same price as that Blaze, has a better trigger than any semi-auto I've come across (including my 10/22 with Ruger's "new" trigger for it).  There are better, but better costs more.

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
With one pistol in hand, and $500 to spend, I'd get more ammo for the pistol and practice more and maybe seek out some training.

Werz Waldeau

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 11:16:46 AM »
With one pistol in hand, and $500 to spend, I'd get more ammo for the pistol and practice more and maybe seek out some training.
All the training and ammo in the world doesn't give a pistol an effective range of much more than 25 yards.

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »
i can reliably hit a target at 35 yards with my pistols.

if you are seeking a rifle for self defense use, a 22LR is not going to cut it.  if you are short of funds to buy a proper self defense rifle, keep saving.

Werz Waldeau

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »
i can reliably hit a target at 35 yards with my pistols.

if you are seeking a rifle for self defense use, a 22LR is not going to cut it.  if you are short of funds to buy a proper self defense rifle, keep saving.
A .22 rimfire is a good learning tool.  A budget AR or an AK can be had for $700, but not all states allow that.

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 06:27:11 PM »
A .22Lr  pistol and rifle is the perfect place to start your training. Cost savings alone will make a big difference in how much shooting you will be able to do. I am not of the schooling that a 22 isn't enough gun to be a self defense weapon. But using one for this purpose will require a more diligent mind set that you will need to continue shooting until the threat has ceased. The fact that most people can shoot a 22 more accurately at personal defense distances because they are less intimidated than by the big boom and recoil of a larger caliber gun is really a plus. Besides historically, more people have died by .22Lr firearms than any other single caliber.
Many people will pupu their use even for training. Familiarity with you weapon is paramount for survival when the time comes to call upon it to defend your life.
As far as which rifle to buy? For a first bolt action I'd choose Rugers American, for a semi-auto I'd go with either a Ruger 10/22 or a Remington 597. Any of these three are accurate and reliable, which are the most important aspects when choosing a firearm. For a pistol, new right out of the box Ruger SR22 is a leader or a used Ruger MKII or MKIII will function accurately and flawlessly. Another used choice would be a S&W 422 or 622 for the same reasons.
I have carried 22Lr's as my primary arm for years along with many other larger caliber guns. I have never felt under gunned while doing so. The only time I have ever had to use my side arm in a defense situation I was carrying a 22 out in the woods. I am sure that an encounter in the roughest of neighborhoods with my 22 would end as well for me because I knew my gun and its capabilities as well as mine.
Disclaimer time... as of this writing I carry an LCP .380acp with me where ever I go, although 99.99% of my practice is with my 22's. If I had a better holster for my 22 I'd consider switching it up. Why? because beyond 7 yards the LCP spreads its groups larger than my open hand, whereas with my 22 that doesn't happen until 25 yards, at 7 yards my groups are more walnut sized.
Note: Seven yards is well within the distance of most recorded police gunfights.
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

Douglas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
i'll stick to ammo that has passed the FBI barrier penetration tests.

if a bad guy is within 7 yards or less, that's bad news.  i'd rather they stay way on the other side of the parking lot and leave me alone.

and why do so many shootings happen at 7 yards or less?

is it because the bad guys are so quick to attack, or because the good guys (you) take too long to recognize a threat and don't draw until the last moment?

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »
If its working for you go for it...
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

AndyC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 01:05:35 AM »
Another vote for Ruger 10-22.

Great rifle, accurate and reliable, a stable product line, and spare parts/upgrades are readily available for it if you later want to trick it out.

There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners.

BuddhaFett

• Mando'ad draar digu aliit ori'shya tal'din.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 03:07:29 AM »
All the training and ammo in the world doesn't give a pistol an effective range of much more than 25 yards.

I'm proficient with my 22/45 out to about 50 yards and with my Glock 34 I can easily hit 100 yards.  I'm able to shoot to about 400 yards with my .44 mag.  I've even hit hogs as far as 325 yards with my .44.  Handguns are as accurate as the user.
Quote from: James Earl Jones
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

Cholly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 06:13:52 PM »
Some guns, with the right person, shoot crazy accurate beyond what they should. Pop had a .45 ACP S&W snub nose with a 2" barrel that the bullet SHOULD have started tumbling practically as it exited the the barrel. However, in Pop's hand, my sister's or my own, if we set out six beer or soda cans at 100 feet, any one of us could hit 5 if not all 6, cold, no warm up.

If you find a gun that shoots for you like that, BUY THE DAMN THING. Not the same model, THAT gun. They are extremely few and far between.