Author Topic: Rifle Shopping  (Read 2178 times)

gerhard1

• View Profile
Re: Rifle Shopping
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 07:16:47 AM »
Just for the heck of it, I'll throw in this one for your consideration:  the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in either 223/5.56 or 308/7.62.

I have two, one in 308 and the other in 223.

CSACANNONEER

• View Profile
    • Join the NRA
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
With one pistol in hand, and $500 to spend, I'd get more ammo for the pistol and practice more and maybe seek out some training.
All the training and ammo in the world doesn't give a pistol an effective range of much more than 25 yards.

LOL. That depends on the shooter, the pistol, the ammo and the hold. I can consistently hit a 10" plate at 200 yards with a home built AK pistol  (with stock iron sights) and surplus ammo using a half ass rest system. Of course, I can shoot better than that with my Contender. There are many shooters who can shoot their handguns better at 200 yards than most can shoot their rifles. When you talk in absolutes, it is normally easy to prove you wrong. I been at Taran Butler's place and watch him consistently hit steel pop ups at 200 yards with his Glock. There are NRA handgun competitions out to 200 yards.
Pistol, rifle, shotgun, reloading and CCW Instructor

NRA memberships - click here to join or renew at a discounted rate

CSACANNONEER

• View Profile
    • Join the NRA
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »
If you are dead set on a semi auto rifle for your first rifle, there's probably no better choice than a 10-22. Inexpensive, reliable and there are so many aftermarket parts available, you can configure it to properly fit you while making it look and shoot the way you want it too.

Andrew Greene

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 02:01:53 AM »
i'll stick to ammo that has passed the FBI barrier penetration tests.

if a bad guy is within 7 yards or less, that's bad news.  i'd rather they stay way on the other side of the parking lot and leave me alone.

and why do so many shootings happen at 7 yards or less?

is it because the bad guys are so quick to attack, or because the good guys (you) take too long to recognize a threat and don't draw until the last moment?

I think one reason is that, for the most part, drawing on someone who is on the other side of a parking lot might be seen as somewhat paranoid, short of them having already commenced firing at you.   At that distance, you'd likely to be unable to convince a jury that you were in immediate, deadly danger.

Branth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »
The 10-22 is a good choice, but not the only one.

I have a Mossberg 795 LTR that I really like.  It's not as easy to modify as the Ruger because there aren't as many aftermarket options, but the LTR version has very nice adjustable aperture sights out of the box and a military web sling, and is great for learning the fundamentals of marksmanship.  It's actually designed specifically for that - LTR = Liberty Training Rifle.  If you can get one new, the Appleseed Project will let you go to one of their events for free, and their instruction is top-notch.  I went with my LTR and got my rifleman patch, and it was a great time, and I learned a LOT about how to shoot from practical field positions and how to use a sling to stabilize.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 11:57:26 AM »
With one pistol in hand, and $500 to spend, I'd get more ammo for the pistol and practice more and maybe seek out some training.
All the training and ammo in the world doesn't give a pistol an effective range of much more than 25 yards.

Unless you are a Bullseye ("Precision Pistol") shooter, in which case you are regularly hitting targets  at 50 yards using one hand. There is something to be said for old school shooting sports!

Werz Waldeau

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 06:50:22 PM »
LOL. That depends on the shooter, the pistol, the ammo and the hold. I can consistently hit a 10" plate at 200 yards with a home built AK pistol  (with stock iron sights) and surplus ammo using a half ass rest system. Of course, I can shoot better than that with my Contender. There are many shooters who can shoot their handguns better at 200 yards than most can shoot their rifles. When you talk in absolutes, it is normally easy to prove you wrong. I been at Taran Butler's place and watch him consistently hit steel pop ups at 200 yards with his Glock. There are NRA handgun competitions out to 200 yards.
What qualifies as a handgun under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(29), and what is commonly recognized as a handgun, are not even remotely related.  In the absence of a long, baggy coat, you are not going to carry a Drago pistol.  I doubt you are going to carry a long-barreled, single-shot T/C Contender at all.  When you talk in deceptive terms, it is normally easy to expose the deception.

When you can consistently hit that 10-inch plate at 200 yards with a 1911 or a Glock 19, be sure to let us know.

CSACANNONEER

• View Profile
    • Join the NRA
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 01:13:48 AM »
What qualifies as a handgun under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(29), and what is commonly recognized as a handgun, are not even remotely related.  In the absence of a long, baggy coat, you are not going to carry a Drago pistol.  I doubt you are going to carry a long-barreled, single-shot T/C Contender at all.  When you talk in deceptive terms, it is normally easy to expose the deception.

When you can consistently hit that 10-inch plate at 200 yards with a 1911 or a Glock 19, be sure to let us know.

Douglas didn't qualify what type of handgun he was talking about. He made a blanket statement and I poked a big hole in it. Sure, many handguns don't even have an effective range of 20 yards but, that doesn't mean that all of them don't. I and many others can consistently hit inside the 8 ring on a B27 target at 20 yards with a .32 cal Seecamp (2" barrel). Just imagine what we can do with a larger handgun, shooting a more powerful round? Oh yea, I'm assuming that you are aware that Seecamps don't even have any sites on them. So, do you really think that a 1911 or a G19 is is only effective out to 35 yards?

I have no reason to even try to shoot a Glock at 200 yards but, I do know a few who can. Taran Butler lives a few miles away and, he can consistently hit a LaRue self resetting target at 200 yards with his Glock. But, he has that set up in his yard and practices.

b79holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 05:19:11 PM »

if a bad guy is within 7 yards or less, that's bad news.  i'd rather they stay way on the other side of the parking lot and leave me alone.

and why do so many shootings happen at 7 yards or less?

is it because the bad guys are so quick to attack, or because the good guys (you) take too long to recognize a threat and don't draw until the last moment?

In many states you may be defending your decision in front of a least a grand jury. 
Pretty tough to argue you "feared for your life or grave bodily harm" from a person 75 yards away.

After the book  'In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob I think I learned the most about all the complications with CCW from the CCW section of the Smith & Wesson Forum.My brother in law just received his permit in upstate NY and he was stunned by the truth about the issues and responsibilities with CCW from that book.  Everything in the media and movies is fantasy.
B

SwedishBear

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »
Good suggestions going on here. Thanks.

.22 is great for shooting. The bullets won't put down much, not on the first shot.

My first long gun was a Remington 700, and I would do that again. It's a respectable rifle right out of the box. The main thing is that there are a zillion 700s out there, and that means there's more after-market gear for the Remington 700. What it means is that if I end up not liking my choice, I can change it down the road because there is so much gear for that model.

My first Remington 700 was chambered for .308 from the factory. I eventually converted it to use 6.5mm Creedmoor. Plus (drum roll here)... I did the conversion myself. There were a few thousand YouTube clips on what I wanted to do. Everybody (so it seems) has a Remington 700, and lots of those gun owners made YouTube vids.

Sergal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »
Glorious Three Line rifle design of Sergei Mosin of Russian motherland is perfect for any shooter.  Cost of 12000 Ruble will get you rifle that shoot plentiful 7.62 ammunition.  Perfect for destroying target at range, impressing comrade with fireball, and keeping facism out of motherland.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:39:53 PM by Sergal »

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "effective range". I'm a Bullseye pistol shooter and I'm consistently hitting the black on my targets at our standard distances of 50 yards and 25 yards. Try for that
(slow moving) zombie headshot from 50 yards away? I'm your guy.  ;)
Of course, I'm using tuned up target pistols, but still...