Author Topic: Hello from Kansas City, MO  (Read 2566 times)

Michael

• View Profile
Hello from Kansas City, MO
« on: July 31, 2016, 03:23:14 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Michael and live in Kansas city , MO.  I'm a 27yo Bi male with an amazing boyfriend coming up on our 6 year anniversary. I have been hunting for almost 20 years, had my cc permit for 6 years, i have shot at a handful of IDPA and USPSA events. I have worked at the Cabelas in Kc, KS for the past 6 years, will be leaving soon as i graduated college and have a full time job in my degree field (wish i could stay on). I also work with a friend who is a NFA manufacturer.

I recently did a quick search but did not see a kansas city chapter of Pink Pistols. I have taken tons of people  (straight and LGBT) out for their first time shooting as well as know local cc instructor's and some who do active shooter, defensive pistol, rifle, and shotgun courses .

Indigodog

• New Hampshire Seacoast
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Kansas City, MO
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
Hi MichaelL Welcome to the forum It is great that you will be sharing here.
Life is an adventure. Make it awesome.

John

Branth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 12:34:23 AM »
Hey, good to meet you!  I grew up in KC, but I'm living in the Quad Cities in Iowa now.  Kinda miss that town, to be honest, and I DEFINITELY miss Arthur Bryant's burnt ends!

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
Thanks, nothing like KC BBQ. Does anyone know who to talk to about getting in contact with inactive chapters? I guess there was a heartland chapter but i could not find contact information anywhere.

Branth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
I haven't the foggiest, but the next time I'm down there, I'd be happy to hit the range with you sometime.  I'm partial to Pigeon Hills range just because I can do rapid fire and draw from the holster, but Parma Woods is alright for rifle work.

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »
Yeah, no one like Parma lol. Pigeon Hill is ok if you're with people. Centerfire is a new one in south johnson county that's indoor and nicest indoor by far. I prefer to shoot on friends or family's land but only thats only good during spring and fall.

Branth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 01:45:03 AM »
I'm philosophically opposed to paying steep indoor range fees...

JWheelerMD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:43:56 PM »
Would love to see a chapter start up again.  Shoot at Bullet Hole. 

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 10:12:56 PM »
It is certainly on my mind once i get settled in with my new job. I know 2-3 other LGBT member that would be interested around kc and i know a handful of instructors that might give discounts for cc classes and training etc. Plus if I have free time the range or gun store is always an option for me.

Funny  story about the bullet hole, i was the reason you could not shoot 10mm at the upstairs range a few years back. 220gr hard cast causing sparks lol.

JWheelerMD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Sparks, huh.  You got a little bit of "bad boy" in you, don't you?   :)

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »
I in no way modified or altered the ammunition. It was "factory loaded" and not "illegal" however they may or may not have been intented for civilians or even intended to be in this country. One more time not "illegal", just think of it like SS190 5.7x28 ammo just for 10mm.

rlc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
Hello!  I just wanted to chime in here and show support to people who come here, if nothing else.  I'm new at shooting, but I dove in head first this summer with both pistols and shotguns.  I've taken a few instructional classes, including one with my husband.  I stumbled across the Heartland chapter of Pink Pistols a long time ago, and checked in to see what Pink Pistols was doing these days.  Sadly, the forum didn't have nearly as many postings as I had hoped for, and it appears the Heartland Chapter is defunct.

At first, I thought "how sad".  But then, I started thinking about it, and what is it about Pink Pisols here in the heartland... and why would I even want to "become a member" anyway?  After reading the mantra a couple of times (lean to shoot safely, and promote safe personal protection), it became more clear why there may not be many people who actually feel the need to join an organization.

1) FOR ME, shooting at the range is a very individual thing.  I like taking new people, but I'm not very excited about going with experienced shooters simply because there's not alot of communication during shooting, if any.  I'm BARELY comfortable shooting by myself - much less socializing before, during, or after.  However, shooting sporting clays can be very fun to do with friends.  Very gentlemanly sport as well... less of the "characters" you might sometimes see at the pistol range (but it's also considerably more expensive).

2) Pink Pistols was founded in 2000(?).  Honestly, although there's still room for improvement - alot has changed in that 16 year span.  The people running shooting ranges have changed, politics have changed, and I think the general mindset has changed.  There's many who still don't "approve" of our orientation - but I think in this day and age - they approve of our right to protect ourselves regardless.  I think people are either pro-gun or anti-gun, regardless of sexual orientation.  In that light, we've only been to 2 shooting ranges and we've never been made to feel uncomfortable.  It's almost as if... "if you're a gun guy, then you're cool with us" kinda thing.  That said, we're pretty average guys and we keep to ourselves.

I'm not here to promote business and this post may be edited if need be... but I will say that for those of you who might be looking for "comfortable" places to shoot, Centerfire in Olathe and Powder Creek in Shawnee has been good to us so far.  That said, those are the only 2 places we've been to.

Bottom line... maybe it's that in this day and age, the fence that seperates straight vs gay isn't as tall as it once was.  Maybe we ALL need to be more comfortable with what used to be a traditionally "straight" past-time.  Shooting IS fun (for me) and I treat it like a sport.  In fact, I refer to my guns as sporting goods.  I truly enjoy shooting.  I like to tap into the focus and mindset it requires.  I like mechanical things.  I'm something of a data-freak so I like to analyze everything (like why I keep missing the target).  I like the confidence that I've gained by taking up the sport.  And lastly, I like the fact that SHOULD I feel the need to protect myself or my husband, I will be able to do so somewhat more effectively than before.

Most of our friends, mostly straight, DO know that we're pro-gun and active in the hobby.  In fact, we only have 1 gay couple that we hang out with, and we haven't seen them in a long time.  Rest assured though, one topic we will cover at our next dinner will be this.  Some of the people have actually wanted to join us a time or two and have.  I don't really know how to "spread the word amongst the gays" that it's okay - and maybe even fun - to shoot firearms.  But if I get the chance, I share the fun we've had with people who are both gay AND straight.

So, here's a guy who likes his music, his Jeep, his guns, his Bourbon, and his husband.  It's slightly difficult to fit in with any particular clique - but that's okay.  I love life, my friends are family, and although I might have an odd genetic makeup... I am who I am, and... oh well!  I applaud anyone who comes across this thread.  You're gay, but you're not going to be pigeon-holed.

In light of the overall concept of promoting shooting in a comfortable environment, I've named off 2 places that I have no trouble supporting as a gay man.  If it's not against forum rules, maybe this would be as good a place as any to start a list of other GLBT friendly ranges here in the Heartland?  Just a thought.

Be safe!

rlc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 11:45:03 AM »
On a side note, I don't know if you noticed... but this post has more views than the other new member introductions by far (although only 5 of us posting).  Maybe there's enough interest for someone to re-instate the Heartland Chapter after all.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
Welcome!

"On a side note, I don't know if you noticed... but this post has more views than the other new member introductions by far..."

You're 27 years old. Give it a few years and I absolutely guarantee that you will get fewer views and less attention.  :P

Michael

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 12:13:58 AM »
Welcome!

"On a side note, I don't know if you noticed... but this post has more views than the other new member introductions by far..."

You're 27 years old. Give it a few years and I absolutely guarantee that you will get fewer views and less attention.  :P

I'm 27, rlc did not post their age. However i do completely understand how fickle the gay community can be. One reason i choose to limit my time around the majority of the community. I know that statement is a bit strong coming from someone who is offering some assistance getting into the shooting sports/cc. Unfortunately i have encountered much more resistance and exclusion due to my stance on firearm and being in a monogamous relationship than i ever encountered with my sexual orientation. Sorry YourHuckleberry if i took your joke a little too serious.

To rlc

I am associated with a social group here in kc, The Kansas City Bear Mafia, although I don't attend many functions( maybe one every other year). All of the founding members know me and if someone shows interest in firearms, they would generally send them my way. Now that I'm no longer working at cabelas, the firearms lead and manager (both very good friends of mine) are more than happy to take extra time with people new to firearms regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation. I will still be making range trips as much as possible, and I'm more than willing to help anyone with any questions they have. I do hope to get so form of group here in KC, even if it's just a resource group with names and number with the occasional group shoot/lunch etc.