Author Topic: First aid/medical training  (Read 1017 times)

GayPatriot

• View Profile
First aid/medical training
« on: July 31, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »
Where would you look for basic first aid/medical training for civilians? Not a military, police, or EMT program, just something more basic?

I'm having a hard time finding anything that isn't an EMT program.

Branth

• View Profile
Re: First aid/medical training
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 12:44:37 AM »
A local gun shop near me does a lot of training and occasionally has medical classes.  I might look into local gun shops and ask if they do medical training.

For more prepper-oriented and less immediate trauma care medicine, I have a book I REALLY like called "Medicine for Mountaineering" - It's pretty much a manual on every sort of medical aid you could expect a reasonably untrained person to do and covers everything from bug bites and intestinal parasites to collapsed lungs.  It's a dry read, but HIGHLY educational.  You might check your local library or try and find a used copy online to save a few bucks.

AndyC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 12:53:55 AM »
You could start with the Red Cross first aid courses - they're $80-$90 or so:

http://www.redcross.org/m/take-a-class
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:56:19 AM by AndyC »
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners.

Jokerizwild

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:42:19 PM »
Look to your local college. They offer EMT classes. The first bacis one will give you a great amount of info. They are Usualy straight forward and hands on.

AndyC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
This past weekend I went to Angleton (south of Hoston, TC) and took the TCCC Enhanced course - Tactical Combat Casualty Care - from Tactical Medics Group.

It's a 2-day $415 trauma course and covers a lot, culminating in live scenarios replete with sirens, smoke and gunshots (blank). The actors (young trainee paramedics) are moulaged and are rigged with squirting blood, etc - very intense pressure and as real as it can get.

They also have a more civilianized version called TECC - Tactical Emergency Casualty Care - which is very popular. You'll sweat and earn these certs, but the boost in confidence is worthwhile.
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »
Join your local CERT. Where I live the Portland Bureau of Emergency Management offers many training courses for NET members all year long. It's worth joining just for the training. I'm sure many communities offer the same.

Cholly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 07:10:36 AM »
We need a "like" option. A lot of good possibilities were offered up here.

HuckleberryFun

• I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »
Bought an Arktis B110 British SAS combat smock (aka "parka").
It's unlined (less sweating while running or humping a ruck), windproof, with lots of pockets to hold my Tier 1 (EDC) basic survival kit. Roomy enough to wear armor underneath, SAS style. I like the British DPM camo pattern, but I got it in Coyote Brown instead so as to be a slightly more gray "gray man".

http://www.arktisusa.com/index.php/products/b110/